The John R. Heerwagen Award for Nonprofit Leadership
During his tenure as CEO of Middlesex Savings Bank, John was supportive of the Foundation and its efforts to help strengthen local nonprofits. John also believed in the importance of leadership and the need to develop and recognize strong leaders.
To honor his contributions to the Foundation in a way that reflects his personal interests, we are proud to introduce The John R. Heerwagen Award for Nonprofit Leadership.
This annual award will recognize a strong, nonprofit leader whose work has significantly benefited the lives and wellbeing of residents within the Foundation's community. The award provides a one-time grant of $15,000 to the recipient's organization to be used in a manner that the recipient believes will benefit the organization.
The Selection Committee will accept nominations from anyone familiar with the nominee. Self-nominations will not be accepted.
The nomination period begins on June 1st. Nominations are due to the Foundation by 5:00pm on August 1st.
Only the individual chosen to receive the award will be notified of their nomination and selection. The Award winner and their nominator will be contacted about their selection in October and the Award will be presented at the Foundation's annual grantee ceremony in November.
The Selection Committee seeks to recognize experienced, nonprofit leaders who demonstrate the ability to develop and implement effective organizational strategies. The ideal nominee will demonstrate the following capabilities and characteristics:
- Creates and stewards collaborations and partnerships to advance the work of their organization in a manner that produces tangible benefits to the community.
- Brings innovative ideas forward and to fruition.
- Builds organizational and individual capacity and expertise.
- Instills passion in themselves and the people with whom they work.
- Demonstrates the highest levels of integrity and ethical behavior.