Best Practices to Safeguard You and Your Business.
Incidents of online and email fraud are on the rise and fraudsters may intentionally target small businesses because they often lack proper defensive controls. Protect yourself and your business by implementing and following these recommendations.
- Use the best internet security (virus protection, firewalls, etc.) you can afford
- Limit administrative rights on users' workstations to help prevent the inadvertent downloading of malware or other viruses
- Ensure that your virus protection is enabled at all times and is automatically updated by the vendor
- Monitor and reconcile your account activity frequently
- Consider Positive Pay to reduce the risk of check fraud
- Review online activity frequently using Online Banking
- Never share passwords or PINs (personal identification numbers)
- Change passwords regularly
- Use strong passwords that include numbers, symbols and/or capital letters
- Do not use the same password on multiple websites
- Avoid saving passwords to a computer
- Never access Online Banking from a public wireless access point (for example, a hotel or library)
- Secure your browser with firewall security such as Easy Solutions®
- Utilize dual control features for outgoing monetary transactions (ACH and Wire Transfers)
- Establish online Alerts
- Log out of Online Banking when not in use
- Document your Online Banking policy and procedures and review them with employees at least annually
- Exercise caution when conducting business with parties that contact you over the internet and request that you send payment to them or to a third party
Middlesex is a full-service bank serving individuals, families and business owners throughout Massachusetts.