2020 PPP Loan Forgiveness InformationDate: 3/4/2021
If you wish to apply for forgiveness of your Small Business Administration (SBA) Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) Loan, Middlesex Savings Bank is ready to help.
Information on loan forgiveness for 2021 PPP loan applicants will be forthcoming.
We are currently only accepting PPP loan forgiveness applications for 2020 loans via the portal, included below.
Beginning on Friday, March 5, 2021, a new 3508S form will be available within our portal to 2020 PPP forgiveness applicants whose loan amount is less than or equal to $150,000. All applicants must now use the new version of the 3508S form for loans of $150,000 or less and will no longer be able to apply for forgiveness using the previous version.
- Any applications of $150,000 or less submitted to the SBA via our portal using the old version of the 3508S form prior to midnight on Thursday, March 4 will be accepted.
- If you've recently submitted a loan forgiveness application of $150,000 or less using the previous version of the 3508S form and have not received approval by the SBA, the application will be returned to you with instructions on how to reapply using the new form.
If you are a returning PPP loan borrower, you may access the forgiveness portal here:
If you are a PPP loan borrower whose total loan amount is $150,000 or less, you may use a simplified application to apply for loan forgiveness via the portal.
- The application is the SBA Form 3508S. It requires fewer calculations and less documentation for eligible borrowers.
- Form 3508S is available directly within the forgiveness application portal on this page.
Should you wish to become familiar with this simplified application option reserved for borrowers with a PPP loan amount of $150,000 or less, please review the PPP Loan Forgiveness Application Form 3508S.
To access the portal:
- You (the borrower) received an email on October 6, 2020 from this address: ESFSCMConfigurator@Fiserv.com.
- Follow the instructions in the email to access the portal.
- Add the address to your contacts list.
- Check your SPAM folder and/or filter to ensure receipt of all future emails from this address.
Logging into the portal:
- Log into the Borrower Portal from the Middlesex Savings Bank website using your Business Name and Employer Identification Number (EIN), Tax ID Number (TIN) or Social Security Number (SSN).
- Your Business Name must exactly match how it appears in the “Apply Now for PPP Loan Forgiveness” email. It may be helpful to copy and paste your Business Name directly from that email.
- When entering your EIN, TIN or SSN do not use dashes or spaces.
These step-by-step instructions on applying for forgiveness may help you with the process.
Once you have successfully received the email with further instructions from ESFSCMConfigurator@Fiserv.com, you may access the portal here: https://sba-ui.fiservapps.com/smb-login-forgiveness.
Please remember that the rules of this program and the ultimate decision as to whether your loan will be forgiven are determined by the SBA.
1. What should PPP loan recipients be aware of following the SBA’s public release of borrower data on December 1, 2020?
The SBA released public data about Paycheck Protection Program borrowers—specifically, the borrowers’ names, addresses, exact loan amounts and who their PPP lenders were. This was done by court order following lawsuits brought by media organizations seeking the data.
- Middlesex Savings Bank played no role in the decision to release this information. Middlesex Savings Bank considers all client information confidential. As such, we do not comment on the status of any customer’s loan. Our commitment to protect your privacy is paramount, and we follow all applicable laws and regulations.
- Borrowers should be prepared to review the SBA loan disclosures to ensure accuracy. Please contact the SBA if the information they provided is inaccurate.
- Unfortunately, we have heard that some third party businesses are using information from the court-ordered data release to market themselves to PPP customers. These communications may reference our bank’s name and may even imply that we have some kind of relationship. You should be aware that we will communicate directly with you about your PPP loan and the forgiveness process. If you have any concerns, please call us directly at 1-877-463-6287.
2. Who can apply for Loan Forgiveness?
Loan forgiveness is available to all applicants who can demonstrate that the PPP funds were spent in accordance with the program. Please visit the SBA's website and the Treasury’s website for additional information.
3. Is the portal for Loan Forgiveness the same portal I used to apply for my PPP Loan?
No, the new portal is not the same one you used to apply for the PPP Loan.
4. Will paper application submissions be accepted?
No, paper application submissions will not be accepted.
5. What are the benefits of using the new portal?
The new portal is pre-populated with basic borrower and loan information, such as your SBA Account Number and Loan Account Number. Additionally, it includes a “Knowledge Center” to guide you through questions you may have regarding the process.
6. Does it matter who submits the Loan Forgiveness application?
Yes, the individual from your business who submits the Loan Forgiveness application must be the same person who submitted the original PPP Loan application. Additionally, the “Borrower Name” must be entered exactly as received in the communications regarding PPP Loan Forgiveness from the system-generated address: ESFSCMConfigurator@Fiserv.com.
7. Do I need to submit an SBA PPP Loan Forgiveness Application along with my required documentation via the portal?
No, you do not need to complete and submit an SBA PPP Loan Forgiveness Application when you apply for forgiveness via the portal. You may reference the below applications from the SBA to help gather the appropriate supporting documents, which are required when you apply for forgiveness of your PPP Loan. Please note that these applications are subject to change with any revisions passed by Congress.
- PPP Loan Forgiveness Application
- PPP EZ Loan Forgiveness Application
- PPP Loan Forgiveness Application Form 3508S
8. Who do I contact if I need technical assistance with the portal?
For technical assistance, please call us at 508-599-5555.
9. Who do I contact if I have other, non-technical questions regarding the process?
If you cannot find the information you need in the portal’s “Knowledge Center,” please contact us at: PPPApplicationSupport@middlesexbank.com.
10. How long do I have to apply for Loan Forgiveness through your portal?
The SBA allows borrowers 24 weeks (168 calendar days) from the date of the loan disbursement to spend funds on payroll and eligible expenses. As long as the loan forgiveness application is submitted within 10 months of the end of the Covered Period, the borrower is not, as of August 4, 2020, required to make any payments until the forgiveness amount is remitted to the lender by SBA. If the loan is fully forgiven, the borrower is not responsible for any payments. If only a portion of the loan is forgiven, or if the forgiveness application is denied, any remaining balance due on the loan must be repaid by the borrower on or before the maturity date of the loan.
11. What should I be aware of when completing and submitting an application via the portal?
- Timeout occurs after 15 minutes.
- If you receive an “Authentication Failed” error when trying to log in, please ensure that the business name is typed into the log in screen exactly as is it appears from the system-generated address: ESFSCMConfigurator@Fiserv.com, including punctuation and spaces. The TIN must be keyed exactly as well, including dashes or no dashes.
- Currently all fields marked with an asterisk are required to be populated upon clicking the “Save,” “Next,” and “Continue to Upload Documents” buttons.
- To avoid your application being received as blank, you must click the “Save Information” button before clicking the “Next” button within the application. You should receive a pop-up stating “Application Saved Successfully.” If you don’t see it, the data didn’t save. On the Review & Submit screen (where the signature pop-up appears), you should see a PDF of the application and can validate your information was saved.
- Only the borrower is allowed to change the application data or upload documents. Once a forgiveness application has been submitted, if you have more documents to add or need to modify the application, we will need to send the application back to you via the portal. Please call us at 508-599-5555.
- 12. What should I do if I believe I have received a fraudulent email related to my PPP loan?
Remain vigilant of ongoing scams and potential fraud schemes related to the SBA’s Paycheck Protection Program. Email phishing attempts have been reported of fraudsters posing as legal representatives of the SBA, threatening consequences if PPP loan funds are not returned immediately. These are not legitimate claims and if you receive an email fitting this description, please delete it immediately. Do not open the email, click on any embedded hyperlinks, or respond. For more information on PPP scams, please visit the SBA’s website.